Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

Are there times in your life that make you feel like a kid again? Well, one of those times for me, in addition to going to Disney World, decorating sugar cookies and watching Andy Griffith reruns, just to name a few, is the first annual forecast of snow.

Last night, after we finished watching a movie, I looked out the window to nothing but a wet street in front of the house. Disappointed, I crawled back into my warm bed, which I’m so thankful for. Around 3:30 a.m., I woke up, and nothing would do me but to peer through the blinds, looking in our back yard through sleepy, squinted eyes to nothing more than glistening remnants of yesterday’s rain. But, when I woke up around 7 a.m.? I felt the same excitement that many of you felt – SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! It was and is beautiful. Enough to cover the ground, but the roads are clear . . . gosh, I just sounded like my mother . . .
 

Shortly after I woke up this morning, I found myself snuggled in bed between Scott and Austin, oh, and Flatts, too, (one of our black cats – he was our cat . . . Scott brought Kattie to the family, a long-haired black cat). With the blinds open, a picture frame was created for a picture perfect first snowfall of the season, and thanks to Scott, I had coffee in hand. What a moment of reflection . . . reflecting on being blessed? Yes, I truly am.
About thirty minutes later, Scott decides this is the perfect time to put seed and fertilizer on our new yard. Yes . . . I also thought he was kidding! He wasn’t kidding at all, informing me how perfect the timing was so he could see where it was landing on the grass. So after a couple of layers of clothing, his coat and insulated boots, which he repeatedly told me kept his feet dry and warm (as to not catch a cold), and a cap, out he went . . .  a man on a mission. My last words to him? No. Not I love you, but “It’s a good thing you’re going out this early. Hopefully our neighbors are still in bed and won’t see you!”


 
But what a great pre-Thanksgiving day! Our first snow, our first snow in our new home and our first snow as a family, and of course, Austin's first snow ball . . . with all my child-like giddiness to boot!

 
Maybe I’m a little selfish wanting all the inches of snow in the forecast, but I’m not one of the 43 million people traveling this Thanksgiving holiday. 43 million! That’s amazing to me . . . but I heard it on the Today Show this morning, so, it has to be true, right? Oh wait . . . that’s the internet :)
The spreading of grass seed and fertilizer? Check. Now, finishing touches on the house have commenced so hopefully we can flip the switch on our Christmas lights tomorrow evening!

And, to close, you have to love the holidays and the snow when friends come around . . . all the way from the beach in SC! My “big sis” Debbie brought her daughter-in-law and granddaughter Danielle and Grace, to see us this morning. Danielle and Grace are here for Thanksgiving and I know Debbie and Mike-Mike could not be happier. And surprisingly, Santa already left a gift under the tree . . . for Grace . . . and of course, it had to be something Minnie Mouse :)  

 
So wherever you are or wherever you’ll be enjoying this holiday, from our family to yours, from a snow-covered yard to the sands on the beach, may the good things in life be yours in abundance this Thanksgiving and throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment