Thursday, November 14, 2013

Blessed to be a Blessing


Scott and I hosted our first live Facebook chat last Thursday, entitled “Blessed to be a Blessing”. As you know, our lives as a married couple have evolved around my breast cancer, the most traumatic experience in my life. But it has been amazing the many blessings we have received and the lives we have been able to touch, even in a small way, while on this journey. To that end, we have been blessed to be a blessing.

 
One of my favorite songs is “Blessings” by Laura Story. The first time I heard it I wanted to rewind it on the radio. It was very inspiring and thought provoking for me. Maybe like you, I was raised seeing all the good in this world, not the bad. As I became older, it was somewhat difficult for me to understand why hardship and heartache are too a part of our lives. But as I studied God’s word, I realized God also blesses us during these times, as well as through the absence of unanswered prayers.

During our chat last week, I was reminded when God allows something into my life, for better or worse, I try to use it to bring glory to God. Certainly, it is much easier to use the good things in life, but I have come to realize when I am able to use a difficult situation in my life it often brings greater blessings for me, in addition to those around me.

And how do we reach out to others? In addition to my blog, and posts on my social media outlets, we decided to host a live Facebook chat after we participated in one several weeks ago with the Cancer Treatment Center. I have to say . . .  I can’t imagine anyone who participated received more of a blessing than we did last week. Following the chat, we prayed . . . Scott prayed then I prayed. We were both very touched by those who participated in the chat . . . their words of hope and support were very encouraging to us, but wait! That was our job . . . but then we realized how blessed to be a blessing we are.

In II Corinthians 9:8-12 the Bible tells us “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything you may have an abundance for every good deed; as it is written, “He scattered abroad, He gave to the poor, His righteousness endures forever.’ Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; you will be enriched in everything for all liability, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God.”

God has blessed me so much. In doing so, He does not expect me to hoard what He has given to me. According to Ecclesiastes, I am to appreciate my blessings. But, the main reason for which God blesses me is so He can use me as a channel in order to be a blessing to others.

I hope you will join us this evening, Thursday, November 14, 2013, on my Facebook page from 7 to 8 p.m. (EST) for our next live chat: Paddle, Paddle, Paddle. While we often cannot control what happens in our lives, we can control if we choose to “paddle, paddle, paddle’ or through in the anchor.

“In the boat of life, do you have an oar in hand, paddling through the rough times, or do you have the anchor in hand, ready to throw it overboard and give up? But before you do, is there someone in your boat with a paddle who you know and trust to ensure when you can’t paddle any more will help you overcome your rough times?” Scott Teague.

“Don’t give up, victory may be right around the corner.” Gal. 6:9

Hope to chat with you this evening, and remember, God blesses us beyond our wildest dreams because He loves us, and He wants us to be a blessing to others. How are you going to be a blessing to someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment