Friday, November 1, 2013

It's a Date!


Since our honeymoon, the only place we have been, for the most part, is Chicago, spending most of our time at the Cancer Treatment Center of America. However, this past Wednesday, my incredibly thoughtful, sweet husband changed that.

He had the day off. As he was leaving to take Austin to school he told me to get up and get dressed  . . . we were going for a ride. Although I didn’t feel great, I was excited. Unfortunately, before we ever got out of the driveway, I had a side effect from the chemo hit me. This had been going on for several days, but I realized it's part of it. I prayed it would subside long enough for us enjoy our ride . . . yet, destination? Unknown :)

We drove to Newport. First stop? Cracker Barrel. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot my side effect hit again . . . ugh. I did not want to go home, but if it was going to continue I’m not sure we had a choice. I had taken something for it and Scott encouraged me to take some more. And I did. By the way, our breakfast was sooooo good. I had not had much of an appetite, but this hit the spot!

After we had eaten and were meandering around the store, giving ample time to ensure my side effect wasn’t going to hit again, a lady walked up to me, wearing pink, and said, “How long”? I replied, “I was diagnosed the end of July”. She was diagnosed a couple of years ago, has lymphedema and cannot use her right arm, and she is continuing treatments. Her name was Marie. We had a very enjoyable conversation and parted ways, assuring one another we’d keep the other one in prayer. And I will.

As we departed Cracker Barrel, Scott got on I-40 so I thought maybe we were headed to Asheville. But in a few miles, he got off the interstate, and I decided then we were Gatlinburg bound. It was a beautiful day but a little cool to put the top down just yet, but I knew in time, my pink scarf would be blowing in the wind.

When we drove into Gatlinburg, we both had a craving for a Starbucks coffee. After looking on both sides of the road from one end of the main strip to the other, then Googling, did you know there is not a Starbucks in Gatlinburg? Sounds like a franchise opportunity to me! Nonetheless, there were several coffee shops street side so we parked as close as we could to one. When Scott explained to the parking attendant we were only going to get a coffee, he let us park for $5 instead of $8 :)

As we walked from the parking lot to the street, I quickly realized how difficult an easy task, like walking, had become. But then again, I had been wiped out in bed most of the last four, five days, but with Scott on my arm, I’d make it! We had identified the coffee shop of choice as we were driving by, but before we arrived at that one, we passed a Mayfield store that served coffees. Sounded good to me . . . and it was. Then there was the cutest shop next door. Between Scott and me we found a few things :) I even found a seat on the bench outside while he continued shopping. As he joined me on the bench, we noticed one of the airbrush/t-shirt shops a few stores down. Scott suggested we get a few t-shirts made, noting “Susan’s Circle of Courage”. And we did. The gentleman had to free hand it and design it. So we only paid for one to ensure it met our satisfaction.

While we waited, Scott decided to take our shopping back to the car. I sat on a bench outside the Ole Smoky Mountain Candy Factory. And “I thought” I had lost my will power . . . I didn’t even shadow the door :) Several minutes before, Scott noticed a gentleman with a Marines’ cap on so as we passed he responded “Semper Fi”. The gentleman and his wife were celebrating their anniversary and live near Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC but are originally from the Nashville area. As I was sitting on the bench, the retired Marine joined me and we chatted until Scott returned while his wife shopped in the candy store.

Following our conversation with the Marine, I hung on Scott’s arm as we made our way back to the t-shirt shop. He shared with me he told the parking attendant we obviously decided to do more than just grab a cup of coffee. Scott offered to pay him the additional $3. And he took it . . . I was a little surprised he took it, but as I told Scott, it always pays to be honest.

The gentleman was finishing up my t-shirt as we approached the shop. Since he wasn’t finished, once again, I made my way to the bench in front of the store, anxiously awaiting the final product. While I had been sitting there, I had noticed a young girl, pretty blonde, walk by me a few times, to the trash can. It appeared she worked at one of those kiosks that give away tickets and offers various promotions. This time, though, she walked over and sat beside me. She said, “I don’t know you, but God told me to pray for you . . . to pray for full restoration of your body, and I wanted you to know I did.” I was so touched . . . I told her my name was Susan. I extended my sincere appreciation for her prayers and for sharing it with me before she returned to her work station.

In the meantime, my t-shirt met our expectation so Scott ordered one for him and one for Austin. As he was paying, I overheard him say, “We’ll pick them up on our way back”. On our way back? Where are we going now? Scott pulled me back to the car as I really getting tired by this point. He put the top down. Stopped at KFC on the way out of town and told me we were going to have picnic on top of Ole Smoky . . . neither one of us had not been to the top of the mountain in forever. It was a beautiful drive. Of course, the higher the altitude, the cooler it became. We stopped at a few scenic overlooks. The first one we were swarmed in ladybugs . . . ugh! But managed to smile and pose for a picture.

The next overlook was the rock wall where everybody signs their name. Scott took the pink ribbon off his car and traced it on a stone, then I signed it. In the midst of all that, a lady came over and hugged me. She smiled and told me she was a two-year survivor. We had a delightful chat before they left, headed the rest of the way up the mountain.
After a few pictures on the stone wall, we too made our way to the top. With KFC, my jacket and a blanket in tow, we had our picnic, among several other passer-byers, on top of Ole Smoky. A lady stopped to tell me she had four daughters, one of which is a huge advocate for breast cancer as she mentioned one in four women are afflicted with this, but so far, none of them had been diagnosed. However, according to the American Cancer Society, “the chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer during her life is one in eight”.

Following an enjoyable picnic and meeting some Alabama fans who were enjoying Bojangles a few blocks, literally, down from us, we made our way back to the car and headed down the mountain. As we arrived back in Gatlinburg, we pulled in the same parking lot where we had parked earlier. Scott told the same parking attendant we were just picking up some shirts so he didn’t charge us to park this time :)
I managed to make my way back to the shop on Scott’s arm. The shirts looked great. Then on our way back to the car, Scott just had to have some Karmel Korn, and I just had to have some ice cream before making our journey home.

What a wonderful day we had together. Did I feel great? No. But there were enough deterrents, mainly Scott, the fresh air, the beauty of the mountains, so I didn’t focus on my discomfort and pain.

As we were nearing Newport, Scott took a detour on the Foothills Parkway, and as tired as I was, I was so glad he did. It was absolutely gorgeous. The colors were far more vibrant than on the mountain, but it is at a much lower elevation.

So, if we have to wait two more months before we have another date, then so be it. It was nice to be together and not be traveling to Chicago for a change, which we always make the best of :) And it was an opportunity for me to mentally refocus and enjoy and appreciate God’s masterpiece, His canvas . . . not just in the Smokies but in my life, as well.

2 comments: