Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 22, 2013

Today was another busy day for us . . .

It began with a much-anticipated consultation with a surgeon. Ironically, before he came in the room to talk to us, his nurse told us he was going down to read the pathology report from my two biopsies yesterday . . . we were not expecting to hear from them until tomorrow, but he wanted to know the results as they would guide his recommendation for us . . . that is just one example of the advantages of having everything under one roof at the Cancer Treatment Center :)

Within a few minutes, he came in the room and told us the tumor in my left breast was malignant. The lymph node, which was also biopsied yesterday, was benign; however, given the location and size of the tumor he explained other lymph nodes could test positive. Since I am looking at a double mastectomy, he told me should I continue my "pathway to recovery" (Scott coined that term while we've been here :) with them, if any lymph nodes are malignant he would take them out during the surgery. We really liked him and appreciated his direct, yet reassuring bedside manners, as well as the time he took for us and his patience as we had a "few" questions :)

Yesterday, following my two biopsies and multiple mammogram images to ensure the clips were visible, it was apparent the clip in my left breast did not deploy. The one in my lymph node did. While we were still at the center waiting on a potential appointment with the plastic surgeon, I received a call, asking me if I was still at the center as they would like to deploy the clip again. Since we were just waiting, I had that procedure performed successfully this afternoon. Another great example of having everything here at the treatment center. And the good news? My bandages from those biopsies will come off just in time for our wedding celebration on Saturday - yay!!

This evening, after returning to the hotel, we went for an enjoyable walk and fresh air after the rain had passed. Just so happens there is an outlet mall across the street from our hotel :) Scott quickly reminded me we had to shed seven pounds out of our suitcase before leaving Knoxville . . . just FYI, did you know Izod ships your purchase home for only $6? Well, at least that's what we've been told :)

Following our shopping, oh, I mean our evening stroll :) we enjoyed a very nice dinner again at the hotel restaurant. We befriended a young lady named Melissa who was our server. She was our server last night too, and after an incredible job, we requested her this evening. Before ordering a scrumptious piece of key lime pie for dessert, we formally introduced ourselves to each other and explained why we were here . . . she told us she noticed my armband last night (we wear them the whole time we're here), and I shared our story with her. We even shared a few wedding photos, too. What a delight she is . . .

Tomorrow will be our last day, and it too will be a full day, including an appointment with a medical oncologist, nutrition consultant, and a pastoral care session. By the end of the day, we will have a treatment plan in place should we decide to continue our "pathway to recovery" here.

We hope to be on a plane by 8 or 9 p.m. tomorrow evening, headed home to East Tennessee. We canNOT wait to get home and see, hug, and hold Austin!! God, we've missed him . . .

Scott and I, as well as Austin, look forward to celebrating both our wedding and "pathway to recovery" on Saturday evening with many of you.

Again, we greatly appreciate everyone for the many prayers, phone calls, texts, posts, messages, etc. Please know I listen and read them all. We are truly blessed to have such a network of support, and we are deeply touched that circle continues to grow . . . thank you . . .

I close with one of my favorite quotes:
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only option you have left." 

No comments:

Post a Comment