Tuesday, October 1, 2013


Today is October 1 . . . the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Like many of you, it has now taken on an entire new meaning for me. As you probably know, I’ve always been one who is inspired with positive quotes, I “love inspirational quotes”, which I like to share with others. When I created my Facebook account in the spring of 2012, my main purpose was to utilize my page to promote my book, “Only to Susan”. But it has also allowed me to communicate with friends, hopefully offering them some encouragement and inspiration by sharing quotes words of support. I also love to “share” recipes as that’s the only way I know how to keep them on my page. And no, I don’t cook or intend to fix any of them, but Scott is a great chef so I keep hoping he or some of my friends might pick up on a few of my hints :)

Back to October, I have been thinking what I can do this month to promote Breast Cancer Awareness. I have a few ideas so keep a check on my blog as I continue to ponder what that is going to be :)

In the meantime, I am continuing to recover exceptionally well from my bilateral mastectomy and the beginning of my reconstructive surgery. For those of you who have followed my posts on Facebook know last Monday evening after my surgery was a painful and uncomfortable time until the nurses and doctors were able to get it under control. I held tightly to two of Scott’s fingers, apparently refusing to let go. I was in a unit that is a step down from ICU so they were in there continuously checking my vitals and giving me various medicines in an effort to control my pain . . . and they did.

Scott nor I slept very well, which is to be expected. One nurse would even come in the room with a flashlight in an effort to not wake us up as they continued to keep a close eye on me throughout the night.

The next morning I woke up feeling ok. Surprisingly ok. Scott genuinely kept telling me how much better I looked and responded than when I had the lymph nodes removed a few weeks prior. Although I was continuing to take pain medication, I was pretty alert. A physical therapist assisted in getting me out of bed for the first time to walk me, which I was not looking forward to, but I did ok. I was able to eat some and sit up in the chair with little discomfort.

When my plastic surgeon came back to check on me, he was very pleased with my progress and told me if I’d like I could be discharged later that afternoon to guest quarters, which is their hotel on site. And if I got along ok on my/our own that night and the next morning, I could go home. My eyes immediately flooded with tears. The thought of going home so soon since the surgery was simply overwhelming, but that’s what God can do. Remember, we had been there since the Wednesday prior to my surgery as I had additional appointments, as well as my pre-op appointments. We were told the best case scenario was probably to return home on Friday.

We owe the Cancer Treatment Center of America a special thank you for giving us a card, indicating I was a cancer patient with multiple drains as it made our way through security at the airport a surprisingly, satisfying experience. The airport was also very accommodating as a young gentleman met us upon arrival with a wheelchair so I didn’t have to walk and remained with us until we arrived at our gate. Since we had about a 40 minute wait, Scott wheeled me into the Chicago Cubs Bar and Grill. We have eaten there the last two times before heading head and even though our circumstances were different this time, we made no exception in an effort to continue our tradition.

At the gate, they allowed us to board the plane first and our flight was very smooth, although according to Scott, I slept most of the way home. I did, however, wake up and have to use the rest room. Thank God our seats were toward the back of the plane but navigating in those close quarters with my drains and soreness was a bit of a challenge yet I managed pretty well.

Upon arriving at the airport in Knoxville, we waited until everyone departed the plane. Ironically, the flight attendant had had a bilateral mastectomy. She assured me I would be fine despite the soreness and pain I was tolerating as it was time for a pain pill – yay! They too had a wheelchair waiting on us as we got off the plane. By the time we arrived at the luggage carousel, our suitcase had made its way down. With one hand, Scott was pushing me in the wheelchair and pulling our suitcase with his other hand.

As I waited for Scott to get the car, I waited with much anticipation to arrive home to see Austin and to sleep in our bed . . . in our house. I also sat there thanking God for His mercy and goodness and all of His many blessings He had so graciously provided us during this journey. I sat there in awe of His glory . . .

After Scott got everything loaded in the car, including me, we were off . . . the final leg of our expedition . . . destination 505 Rayley Court, Greeneville, TN  37745 (sorry, but I love the sound of that as many of you know how much I love living in the city now :)

Upon our arrival, I didn’t know Austin’s arms could stretch as far as they did. He has been incredible. I can only try to imagine how difficult this has been on him but he too has become quite an advocate. In addition, much like, Scott, he does a lot of things around the house without being asked. And when asked, we receive a “yes sir” or “yes ma’am”. Austin is a very loving child with a big heart and when I feel like crawling in bed and pulling the covers over my end and giving up, I think of him, and Scott, and my whole outlook changes. God has blessed me with the family I’ve always wanted. By the way, Austin even pulled a tooth out this week . . . by himself and this was not the first tie he had done so.

Tomorrow will be one week since we arrived, and in our opinion, my recovery has gone exceptionally well. I still have a long road ahead of me, but I’m taking it one step at a time. Scott has been phenomenal. He even told me if he was younger he’d go back to school to become a nurse. He is so patient, compassionate, never, ever complains and is always a step ahead of me, i.e. he has a glass of water for me before I ask for it. He truly was God sent and as my “big sis” Debbie said in her toast at our wedding dinner he’s the “best thing that’s happened to Susan since Austin”.
 
Our net step? We will return to the Cancer Treatment Center of America (by the way, a commercial for them was just on GAC :), no later than October 14 as that will be three weeks after my surgery and my plastic surgeon does not want to leave my drains in any longer than three weeks. Should the out put of my drains reach the desired level over a 24 hour period prior to October 14 then our return trip could be sooner. At that visit, in addition to my drains being removed, I will have additional fluid injected into my expanders, plus I will see my oncologist and surgeon. So that trip should not be a long one.

In the meantime, please continue to life us up in prayer as we will remember you . . . we are better together!

Isaiah 43:2 God says...When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. – thank you Christie Ward for sharing this scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment