Saturday, October 19, 2013

October 19, 2013 - “Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.” - Proverb, Maori

Since we returned home from our last trip to the Cancer Treatment Center of America (CTCA) – Chicago Tuesday night, I have to admit I have procrastinated in writing this blog update. Why? Well, it’s been rather emotional to even talk about this week, but it has gotten easier. Plus, I have to be able to see through my glasses without tear drops precluding my ability to see the keyboard :)

As with any battle in life, we have our good days and our bad days. As I’ve said before, as long as the latter is the exception and not the rule, it’s ok . . . however, it seems like my mind and emotions continue to wrestle for control, but I do believe it is important and healthy to release our emotions and not suppress them. It is also vital we focus on the positives. I have told several of you my blessings far out weight my battles associated with breast cancer, and they do :)

Our “Pathway to Recovery” has challenged us in many ways. Accepting the fact I have breast cancer was probably one of the hardest challenges. But from the moment I was diagnosed, Scott and I declared I would be a survivor from the very beginning, and I will!

Ok . . . now that I have reminded myself of a few important things here is my update from our recent visit this week:

First of all, we had a great time in Chicago with Austin on Sunday. We enjoyed a train ride into the city before finding our way to the midpoint of the Chicago Marathon near the Wilson Tower. Then we went to the Millennium Park before we made our way to the Navy Pier where we took in an architectural tour of the city by boat, discovered Garrett’s popcorn - yuuuuuuuuuuumy, and had lunch at Harry Caray’s. Was a great day . . .

On Monday morning, we had breakfast then met with our surgeon. He was very pleased with the surgery, and felt he got it all. My margins looked good, but he reminded us there is always that chance a few cells could be left behind. He also told us my cancer was Stage 1.

We then met with our plastic surgeon. After three weeks to the day since my surgery, he removed my drains – YAY!! He also added about 100 cc’s of saline into my expanders, which gave me a bit more definition but created a bit more discomfort. He too was very pleased with the surgery and how I am healing. The numbness, burning sensation and pain is expected due to the surgery, as well as the expanders, so I just ensured we got another prescription of what I refer to as the yellow pills :) When we left his office, we were scheduled to return in three weeks for my expander fluids.

This appointment was followed by a consultation with a chaplain, as well as mind and body. Then lunch :)

Next came the long-awaited appointment with our oncologist. The short of the long of it is, in addition to hormone therapy for the next five to ten years, I will be having four chemo treatments, one every three weeks beginning next week. How did this come about?

For those of you who are familiar with breast cancer, you probably know when they predict the possibility of your cancer returning, they take the pathology report, as well as your age, health, etc. The report then tells you if you are at high, low or intermediate risk. Guess where I was? Yep, intermediate, which meant the decision, was more mine than the doctor’s. So we discussed and deliberated the short term risks with chemo, as well as the long term risks. This discussion was not a short conversation but rather lengthy, yet necessary. After all the information and options were on the table, I looked at Austin who had fallen asleep in Scott’s lap, and I looked at Scott, then held his hand  . . . tightly, as I began to cry. Scott knew exactly why I was shedding tears without me saying a word.

Our oncologist stepped out of the room long enough for me to choke back my tears and try to discuss this with Scott. I told him if I didn’t do chemo and my cancer came back, I’d never forgive myself. But, if I chose to do chemo and my cancer came back, I’d have the satisfaction of knowing we tried. I told Scott I’m 43 and I have too much to live for to not do the chemo, as I rubbed Austin’s head with one hand then took hold of Scott’s hand with the other. He completely agreed and supported me 100%.

After the oncologist returned, I shared with him my decision and the reasons why, as they were seated right beside me. He too was supportive. He said we would only need to do four treatments, one every three weeks. He also felt I would be able to handle it well. I don’t remember the names of the two cocktails I will receive but the initials were TC . . . how ironic is that?

Also, if you remember, after I had an MRI in Johnson City then a biopsy of my left breast in Chicago, a more invasive tumor was found. Well, during surgery, they discovered another invasive cancer in my right breast, where my initial cancer was found in a duct. To that end, LADIES, get your annual mammograms! I am evidence that if you do, breast cancer can be caught early, despite the fact I have the BRCA2 gene, and a one in 10,000 mutation. 

Before we left the room, my plastic surgeon called and wanted to talk to me as this would change our upcoming plans and appointment. He too endorsed my decision, which made us feel even better.

So, we will be returning this Thursday, October 24 for my first treatment. And yes, I am choosing to have my chemo at CTCA. Being a patient there, they know me, and since it is only once every three weeks, I felt it was best to continue my treatment there.

As I just mentioned, this will delay the next part of my reconstructive surgery and hysterectomy (remember, since I have the BRCA2 gene and the mutation, my chance for ovarian cancer increased dramatically so we’re going to be proactive to avoid ovarian cancer), but that’s ok . . . once again, I know we made the right decision.

 After the oncologist left the room and his nurse came in, she, like everyone else there, was so compassionate to both Scott and me. She provided more information as to what I could expect. And the one thing I dreaded to hear was I would loose my hair.

As several of you know, I had my hair cut really short after my first surgery when I was hospitalized for two nights, and Scott did his best to fix my hair. But if you remember, he was fired from that job :) So, my dear friend and hair stylist, Jennifer, cut it really short so I could shower and go since I could not get my arms up to dry it or style it. I also actually had the thought in the back of my mind should I have chemo, there would be less to loose. So, it wasn’t all about Scott. But I have to brag, since it has grown out a bit, he has become quite the hair stylist. Jennifer, you might want to look out! lol

But the other night, we were talking about this subject, and Scott had the best idea . . . ever. He told me I should be proactive. He encouraged me to get my head shaved before we go back and not let the cancer and chemo take it away. And he’s right . . . so before we leave this coming week, Jennifer is going to shave my head and Scott told me he too would shave his . . .

So, it’s been a difficult week . . . I have decided the emotions associated with breast cancer can be one of the greatest challenges in this battle. But like other battles we fight in this life, you get to a point where you become stronger and more courageous. Then you put on your armor ready for the next combat. As a result, I’ve been reminded that I’m in it to win it, and this is just one more challenge I will overcome and one step closer to being a survivor.
Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment