Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October 29, 2013 - Don't Ever Underestimate the Power of Prayer


Last Thursday began the next step along our “Pathway to Recovery” as I began my first chemo treatment.  We did not meet anyone on our flight to Chicago this time, but when we arrived at the airport, we were in the same limo with a lady from Knoxville, who apparently was on our same flight. We had a very interesting conversation with her on our way to the Cancer Treatment Center of America (CTCA) – Chicago. She is a cancer survivor and was there for her checkup. I can’t wait to reconnect with her again.

Prior to my first appointment, we actually saw several members of our team of doctors in the hallways. Among them was our chaplain and the lady from Knoxville who we met on our return flight home the week before. Remember, she was the one who recognized Scott after seeing the WBIR clip of our pink pumpkins? She had completed her radiation, and ironically, we were both her patients. The chapel was just down the hall so our chaplain took us all in to pray, and pray she did. I love to hear her pray . . .

Many of you knew how apprehensive I was about this trip. I was dreading the insertion of the PICC line far more than the actual chemo. After our chaplain prayed, in addition to my many prayer warriors who were praying specifically for this anxiety, I felt the courage and peace I would need to see me through.

Now it was time for my day to begin. I had my blood work completed, our appointment with my oncologist, then it was time . . . it was time for the PICC line. All along I had told Scott he was going with me, and he too wanted to be right by my side. However, once we arrived for the appointment, the nurse told us he could not go in. I explained my fear of needles, IV’s, etc. so she asked me to change and would see what she could do. Upon her return, she politely told Scott there was no way he could be with me, but she would hold my hand. We were both disappointed, but I looked at Scott, right in those gorgeous blue eyes, and told him “I can do this . . . I’ll be ok.” He smiled as I left the room for the procedure.

Surprisingly, I walked into what appeared to be more like an operating room, not the room I had been in for my biopsy and ultrasound. I thought no wonder Scott couldn’t be in here. I quickly noticed we were all donning our hairnets, masks and gowns as I made my way on the table, with my left arm extended by my side. The nurse did exactly what she told Scott she would do. She held my right hand the entire time. I felt the sting of the needle when my arm was numbed and that was it. When they told me it was in, I could not believe it was over! I just wanted to shout praises to God for answering prayer. I fought back the tears as I was wearing my glitter eye shadow, because if I had cried, it would have been all over my face! Remember, I’m not letting cancer steal my sparkle :)

I walked back in the room where Scott was waiting as proud as a child who had just earned straight A’s, or ridden her bike for the first time without training wheels. I smiled and said, “I did it” . . . he was so proud of me.

We made our way up to infusion where I would receive my chemo. We were in a nice room with a chair that was heated and included a massage option. A few people who we knew came by to visit, including my oncologist, to ensure I survived the PICC line as she assured me I would, and Scott Jones, president and CEO. It was a pleasure to finally meet him. Following our enjoyable conversation with Mr. Jones, they brought us menus so we could order dinner. As we were finishing our dinner, which was very good by the way, we realized it was about time for my Skype presentation. This was an opportunity for me to share my personal story with some young ladies at Tennessee Tech University in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It was actually pretty cool I was making this presentation during my first chemo treatment. Who would’ve thought?

Needless to say, those four hours of chemo went by quickly before we headed to the hotel. We were even able to see our favorite waitress Melissa and talk with her prior to calling it a night.

The next morning, we returned to the CTCA where I was scheduled to receive a shot to help produce more white blood cells while I’m on chemo. During lunch, I was able to participate in a live Facebook chat with my plastic surgeon and another patient about post-breast cancer reconstructive surgery. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the airport.

We were in the limo with another couple. It was obvious the gentleman was tired as he rested most of the way to the airport so we didn’t engage in conversation with them, which is completely understandable. Sometimes you just want to rest on the way to the airport as opposed to conversing. As we were getting out of the limo, I told them to take care. As she replied, Scott asked her where they were from, recognizing her southern accent, and she said, “Tennessee”. He then questioned where in Tennessee, and she surprisingly said, “Greeneville”! Amazing . . . we hope to connect with them the next time we see them either locally or at the CTCA.

When we checked in at United, we learned there was a flight leaving in 30 minutes. The gentleman put us on standby. We made our way as quickly as a breast cancer patient with a husband who had knee surgery in March and a torn Achilles in May possibly could :) We got through security with ease then arrived at the gate as they were beginning to board. On the monitor, we were listed as one and two on standby among 10+ other names. I couldn’t help but think the gentleman at the ticket counter bumped us to the top of the list since we were apparently the last ones to arrive. Scott tried to talk to the lady who was calling the various groups to board, but she practically shunned him away. Once everyone was boarded, there was a checkmark placed by Scott’s name. Another gentleman was standing near us. He overheard Scott say to me, “Well, I’m not going without you” as she called his name to board. Rather disgruntled, she asked him where his bags were. He explained we were together, and that is what he was trying to explain to her minutes prior. The gentleman told me I could have his seat if needed so we could fly home together – an incredibly nice gesture. After she typed around on her keyboard, I was able to join Scott in flight after all. As we boarded the plane, our seat assignments were rows apart, yet there were two seats together in the first row. The flight attendant let us sit there. While we were getting settled, I looked up, and here came the gentleman who had offered to give up his seat for me. No good deed goes unnoticed, right? So . . . we were able to catch an earlier flight home, and it was so nice to arrive in Knoxville while there was still day light.

I could not believe how good I felt after chemo. I was able to keep my commitment and serve as the honorary captain at the Tusculum College football game on Saturday, but then about mid-day Saturday, I began to ache and feel tired. I literally was in bed until Monday morning. They explained this could happen as hard as they try to alleviate most side effects with pre-meds prior to the chemo treatment. Unfortunately, tiredness is not one of them. But thank God, I am feeling better.

We will return in three weeks for my second chemo treatment. At this time, we are scheduled to have an appointment with my plastic surgeon as he will insert more fluids into my expanders, and we will have a consultation with my oncologist prior to my infusion. But before we confirm our travel plans back to CTCA, I will have my blood levels checked locally to ensure everything is at the minimum required levels for the chemo treatment.

In closing, I was messaging with a friend this morning who too has cancer, and we were talking about the power of prayer . . . it gave me pause to think about how incredibly well this visit went, i.e. with the insertion of the PICC line, my chemo, but that’s God . . . no matter how big or how small our needs or burdens are or how they make us feel, we should always remember to take them to the Lord in prayer, surrendering them unto His plan and His timing . . . not ours . . .  

Mark 11:24

1 comment:

  1. My aunt, the one who recently finished ovarian cancer treatments, would agree with the Power of Prayer. She never missed a treatment, and she had 18 total.

    We all know "you got this" because God is leading the way.

    ReplyDelete