Wednesday, October 9, 2013

October 9, 2013 - Part II

Several of you who have inquired regarding an update on my “Pathway to Recovery” . . . thank you :)

As many of you know, I have been home recovering from a bilateral mastectomy and the beginning stages of reconstructive surgery, which was performed on Monday, September 23. By the way, September 18 was my one year anniversary of my stroke-like “event” that left me with very limited use of my right sight and the inability to say more than a few words at one time. I actually thought my surgery was going to be scheduled that day, but it wasn’t . . . it was the day we left for my surgery. Who would have thought? One year later after my “event” we’d be on a plane, headed to the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Chicago for a bilateral mastectomy and beginning stages of reconstructive surgery. But, praise God for my complete recovery from my “event” – it was nothing less than a miracle.

Back to the battle at hand, I think I have done exceptionally well given the path before me. I have been very fortunate and had mostly good days, but like most, I’ve had my bad days, too. As I’ve told several of you, as long as that is the rule and not the exception, I think that’s pretty good when you go through a traumatic experience, such as breast cancer.

My pain was controlled before I left the Cancer Treatment Center of America following my surgery, and for the most part, we’ve kept it controlled to where it is tolerable. I told someone just yesterday, considering the battle I continue to fight, it has been a wonderful experience. God has blessed me abundantly during this time – I have so much to be thankful for. Scott has been nothing less than incredible . . . 24/7. Austin . . . Austin may not fully understand it all, but he has become one of my biggest cheerleaders and a huge advocate for Breast Cancer Awareness (thank you, Scott, for setting the example). Our close friends have become closer. And the people who we have crossed paths with, who otherwise we’d never met, Godwinks, I pray our story of courage inspires, touches and blesses them in an amazing way.

God is good.

We will be leaving this Saturday, returning to Chicago. Since it is Austin’s fall break next Monday through Wednesday, he is making the trip with us, and we’re all so excited! He will get to see the Cancer Treatment Center of America - Chicago, meet most of our team of doctors, see where we’ve stayed, as well as meet some of the people who we have met along our way – those Godwinks :) and take in a little bit of the city while we’re there.

The main purpose of this trip is to have my drains removed – yipeeeeeee! I will also receive some fluids in my expanders. In addition, I will meet with my oncologist, surgeons, as well as other members of our team. Then wrap up my appointments Tuesday morning before returning home Tuesday evening. I am anxious to know what’s next as part of our “Pathway to Recovery”.

To everyone who has extended a gesture of thoughtfulness  . . . you know who you are and what you have done to demonstrate your care and support . . . please know how much it has been appreciated . . . it truly has. Forgive me, but I have not been able to send my thank you notes as intended. I even bought the cutest Breast Cancer Awareness note cards . . . I know everyone understands, but my mother would be so disappointed in me :(

Once again, please pray for uneventful and safe travels to and from Chicago and continue to lift us up in prayer, as we too will remember you. I believe God hears our prayers, and He has the power to heal and work miracles.

Before I close, I must share . . . Austin just be-bopped around the corner and asked what I was doing. I told him I was updating my blog. He said, “be sure and tell everybody you’re doing ok so they won’t worry about you” . . . enough said :)

Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment