Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September 4, 2013

Why is it in the mornings when you can't have anything to eat or drink, you'd give your, well .  . . you'd give anything for some? What I'd give for a cup of coffee right now, but since I can't, I'm having my morning coffee with you . . . :)

Yesterday was a good day at the Cancer Treatment  Center. We had a very uneventful flight from Knoxville to Chicago Monday evening (BTW, I took some of the most incredible pictures from the plane as the sun was setting; I will share when I figure out how to do that :). Our driver was waiting on us upon arrival at the airport who then brought us to Guest Quarters North, one of the properties on site. It is very nice and only about a block from the center. It was such a beautiful day, we even walked there and back yesterday.

After grabbing a quick breakfast at the center, we met with our oncology/surgeon. He shared with us that he will be taking the sentinel node(s) on both sides. I'm thinking both?????? Ugh . . . But he wants to make sure before doing my bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. For that? I am grateful. Depending on how many nodes appear to be malignant or suspicious will determine the total number he removes. They have pathology in the surgery room so they will be looking at them while I am in surgery this afternoon. Although to get the most accurate results, it will take three to four few days.

He also shared with us if he does not have to take more than three my chances of lymphedema are minimal, but if he has to take more from one side or the other, my chances increase. At this point, my eyes welled up . . . you know when you have been so strong, you never know "what" will be your breaking point . . . yesterday this was "my" breaking point. The surgeon immediately asked me if I was talking to the big guy as he pointed to heaven, and before I could answer, Scott said yes, and told our surgeon "we're also asking him to bless you, doctor, including all of our team of doctors, too".

After our session with our surgeon, we met with physical therapy. This gentleman took baseline measurements of both my arms so they can monitor any swelling following surgery should it develop. He also reviewed some exercises I can do after my bilateral mastectomy.

Next, I had to get my labs completed and the young lady who took my blood was fabulous. I didn't even feel the stick!

Then we had to circle back around with our surgeon's nurse who gave us our marching orders in preparation for the surgery today. Scott took it all in . . . no worries here :)

As we were about to leave the center, I realized my prayer blanket was not in my arms! We retraced our steps back to the lab, where we had enjoyed lunch outside. On our way to the bistro, we stopped by security, and I reported my missing blanket. Upon arriving in the bistro there was no blanket to be seen  . . . until . . . we walked in the actual food service area. Someone had found it and turned it in to one of the ladies working the register . . . I was sooooooo relieved . . .  We even went back by the security office so the officer knew I had located it. This is not the time to loose my prayer blanket :)

Some of you may know Scott is a huge baseball fan. He went to New Mexico State on a baseball scholarship, with dreams of making it to the big leagues as he thought that's just what happened . . . to everybody . . . including him. After his dream did not work out, he joined the US Marines Corps, and I'm so glad he did :) Because of my father, I have so much love and respect for the Marines; still don't know much about baseball, although dad was quite the baseball fan, too :( . . . oh well :) . . . But it's obvious Scott's love for baseball remains. One baseball park he had not been to just happened to be Wrigley Field in Chicago. Since we were finished with our appointments early afternoon, guess where we went last night? I had two options: 1) sit at the hotel, as I saw a pity party in the works after the day we'd had while thinking about my surgery today or 2) make our way into the city for the game and that's exactly what we did! After a taxi ride to the train station, a train ride to the purple line then only a few stops on the red line - there we were . . . Wrigley Field. I quickly learned most people come to the game for the stadium's coveted history and atmosphere, as it remains one of two original fields in the country, built in 1914 with most of the original construction still in tact. It was quite the experience . . . and after scalping some great tickets, we were like sitting on the field! And ball park food - can't beat it! I think I had one of everything (Scott affirmed I did), not knowing when I'd get to eat again :) What a night to remember . . . and they played who? :) And the Cubs lost . . . right?

Today at 3 p.m. (CST)/4 p.m. (EST), please whisper a prayer for me, Scott and the surgeons, as well as Austin as he is home with Jeff and Allison, and as Austin would say, God bless them too :) I have already placed this in God's hands, and believe He is going to move mightily in my life so I can honor Him in all I do.

With all of God's blessings . . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment