Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013 - by contributing writer Scott L. Teague :)


I wanted to have my turn to share a few comments on what it’s like to live with Susan day in and day out during her “Pathway to Recovery”. Keeping in mind, we’re all human and pain is pain. Susan has handled it very well. Most importantly, she has managed to keep a positive mindset. I find it important to heal the body from positive thoughts and Susan has done just that. Remembering the fact it was only a couple of weeks ago, she had a bilateral, surgical biopsy. At that time, five lymph nodes were removed, plus a nerve was hit creating excruciating pain on Susan. Every day she has healed from that surgery and now her pain is much better. On a scale from 1-10, she’s about a 3 now. She has been a very good patient, and today she had a great day, both mind and body.

During Susan’s recovery, she will have first hand knowledge of what women go through when they’ve been stricken with this type of illness. She’s developing the tools needed to encourage, lift up and motivate other women through their recovery. As Susan’s husband, I can share my story and listen to the men who are caring for their wives, offering encouragement to them too and help lift them up, as well.

I am shocked as to the number of people having or have had cancer and now multi-year survivors. I have a greater appreciation for the patients and their caregivers. I’ve told Susan I don’t want to be her caregiver; I want to be her husband, fulfilling my responsibility to her and showing my love to
her . . . just as my grandfather did for my grandmother . . . what an example he was for me.

Next week begins another part of our “Pathway to Recovery”.

Simper Fi (always faithful) to Susan,
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Were you this faithful to your first wives and your two children whose pics I don't see at the wedding to you is 3rd of 4th wife, I've lost count. By the way when in the world do you find time and commitment to earn a silver star and a purple? We didn't even know you were in the military. Just thought you sold advertising for the Johnson City newspaper. Curiouser and Curiouser as Alice said going down the rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete