Friday, September 20, 2013

September 20, 2013

And we thought yesterday was a busy day . . . sheeeeeeeeeeeew - today was even busier, but it was a great day here at the Cancer Treatment Center of America . . .

We began the day with a pelvic ultrasound, then we had our pre-op consultation with our plastic surgeon's team, followed by blood work to check for diabetes and my cholesterol,  a stop by pastoral care and care management, then a quality of life evaluation, i.e. physical, physical therapy evaluation, a chest x-ray and an echocardiogram. Did I mention I was scheduled for a massage and because our consultation with our plastic surgeon's team took longer than scheduled plus we arrived a little
late :( = no massage . . . oh well, Scott's a better masseuse anyway :)

This morning, while we were in the waiting area prior to my reconstructive surgery consultation, I ran into a gentleman on the way to the rest room. There were two restrooms. One as occupied. The other was not. Being a gentleman, he let me use the available one. I seriously thought to myself he must be from Tennessee . . . he sounded like us :) After I used the rest room and rejoined Scott in the waiting area, the gentleman came over and asked if we were from Greeneville (not Tennessee but Greeneville!). I looked at his nametag (our name tags we wear while at the center have our names and hometown cities and state on them). I first thought his nametag said Mosheim but it said Morristown, and I quickly began putting it together!

My mom's first cousin Charlotte had told me about a lady in Morristown who she knew who had breast cancer and was seeking her treatment at the Cancer Treatment Center of America too, and sure enough, it was them! It was so good to see them here and enjoyed visiting with them on a couple of occasions as our paths crossed today.

But the news of the day? We are walking in the Susan G. Komen 5K Race for the Cure in Milwaukee on Sunday . . . yep, that's right! I can't think of anything I'd rather do on the day before my bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery Monday morning!

This morning prior to my ultrasound a gentleman introduced himself and his wife to Scott. The gentleman happens to be on the Board here at the treatment center. Remember the email I posted last night that my Scott sent to Scott Jones, CEO? Well, they had a board meeting on Wednesday and Scott Jones shared the email with the Board, as well as to the owner Mr. Richard Stephenson who was in attendance. Scott attached a picture of us so this gentleman asked Scott if he was the retired Marine :) We had the most delightful conversation with he and his wife. During our conversation, he mentioned this 5k on Sunday. He and his wife are participating and as much as I wanted to participate I told him I assumed it was too late to register, and he agreed.

After my ultrasound, we were sitting in the waiting area and he and his wife joined us. He told us we were now registered for the 5k and tears filled my eyes. He told us they would pick us up Sunday morning at 6 a.m. yes, 6 a.m. :) and we would ride together to Milwaukee, WI. I am soooooooooo excited!!!!! We were talking yesterday about how we'd spend our weekend here. We didn't know what was on our agenda for Sunday but Scott wanted to ensure we'd do something to keep my mind off the surgery on Monday. Again, I cannot imagine doing anything I'd enjoy more than the 5K. We even went shopping this evening and bought new outfits for the occasion :)

So, if you saw Scott's message to me this morning on the message board outside our room, it was a great day for us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment