Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013

What a day! It’s been a busy one here at the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Chicago, but it’s been a good day.

We started our day with an exam and consultation with a gynecologic oncologist given the genetics test results we received last week. Since a mutation was found in the BRCA2 gene, which justifies why I have breast cancer, I have a higher risk for ovarian cancer. Given the fact that “knowledge is power” (thank you, Eric :), and following my exam and consultation, I am taking a preventive measure and having a hysterectomy.  My surgeon had asked me last week if I’d be open to the idea of having it performed during the bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery on Monday. I told him I’d be open to it, but after my consult this morning, we agreed I’m going through enough on Monday. We’ll probably schedule it in several weeks when I have surgery for my permanent implants as I will be under anesthesia for that procedure. Unless something shows up on the pap or ultrasound, time is not of the essence but we don’t want to wait too long. In the morning, I will be having an ultrasound to primarily determine the size of my uterus. Depending on the size of my uterus will determine if she performs the surgery robotically or with an incision. Much like the rest of our team of doctors, she impressed us very much, and ironically? She too is a breast cancer survivor!

We also met with our surgeon and had our pre-op consultation. Scott and I both have the most confidence in him. He is a very wise man yet very passionate. We had several questions, and he spent almost 90 minutes with us when our appointment was only scheduled for 30 minutes. He also told me the burning and pain I continue to have in both arms from the surgical biopsy he performed a few weeks ago will eventually subside. He also said my discomfort could possibly go away with the surgery on Monday. He and his nurse hugged us (she is awesome too!) and told us they’d see us early Monday morning. Scott told him to get a good night’s rest Sunday night and eat a good breakfast Monday morning :)

Since we were here last, a friend of mine shared her reconstructive surgery experience where her buttock’s tissue was used for one of her implants. Since we did not explore that option with our plastic surgeon to a great extent, we tried to circle back around with him to discuss this in more depth. As a reminder, he told me the last time we were here, after examining me, using tissue from my abdomen was not an option. Unfortunately, he was not in the office this afternoon so we did not get to see him. However, while Scott and I were having dinner at the center this evening, he called me – that impressed us! He is very familiar with that procedure called SGAP (Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator). He told me it is not as common a procedure for ladies having a bilateral given the number of times you’d have to be turned during the surgery plus the increased amount of surgery time. Also, in most cases, it is usually a two-time surgery when both breasts are being reconstructed. Even though the thought of using my own tissue has not been an appealing option for me, we wanted to have this discussion with him before making a final decision.

We concluded our day with another very informative session with our geneticist. Scott has always told me I’m one in a million, but actually I’m only one in ten thousand :) yep, that’s right! The mutation that I have is found in only one in every ten thousand with the BRCA2 gene . . . Only to Susan, right?  The results from this test have been incredibly helpful and enlightening, i.e. solidifying my breast cancer (my paternal grandmother died at the age of 49 with breast cancer) and making us aware of the increased probability of ovarian cancer, which we can now prevent – “knowledge is power” (thanks again, Eric :)
 
Tomorrow is another busy day but trust it will be another good day. We are so thankful God has guided us here in pursuit of our pathway to recovery. I remain excited to see what God has planned for us as we continue to put all of our trust and faith in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment