Sunday, December 22, 2013

Is Your Light Shining This Christmas Season?

Last evening, Scott took me to see the lights in Elizabethton’s (TN) Golf Course Acres. For several years now, the residents line their streets with white bags, filled with sand and a candle. It was beautiful . . . and it was incredibly enjoyable seeing the luminaries with the top down on the Mustang since it was like 70 degrees?!?!


This morning during my quiet time I was reflecting back to the beauty of those lit candles . . . the soft glow, giving a beautiful effect along the many streets. It also took me back years ago when I did this at my parents’ house. For those of you who know where I grew up, and lived until March of this year, mom and dad’s driveway was fairly long. So one Christmas I decided to line the driveway with the white paper bags, filled with sand and a votive candle. I remember the candle had to be placed just right in the center as to not catch the bag on fire and to ensure the brightest glow. I also remember lighting them was no easy task since there were so many. But when I was finished, it was a lovely outdoor lighting display. By the way, I only did this once :)

Just as I was diligent in lighting those votives, I believe our lives are to be like shining lights for God, reflecting his glory throughout the world. In Psalms 18:28 the Bible reads “For thou wilt light my candle, the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness”. How are we letting our lights show?

Recently during one of our live Facebook chats, we talked about “Blessed to be a Blessing”. As I’m writing, I realize how nicely this blog ties in with that theme, as well.  Many ways we talked about being a blessing to others, like going by to visit someone, if only for a few minutes, or picking up the phone to call or text someone, just to let you know you’re thinking of them, is what makes our lights glow. During this particular Facebook chat, we discussed how many times we think we have to do big things, which cost money, in order to be a blessing to someone. But you know what? If that’s the case we are missing many opportunities to let our light shine. Quit looking for big ways to shine your light. Instead, take advantage of the opportunities God has already provided us in order for our lights to glow.

Last night when we arrived home, I quickly noticed one of our candles in the kitchen window was not glowing, despite all the lights that remained on. This morning I thought about that burnt out candle and how quickly people often notice when our lights are not shining. Has your candle become dim because of the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season? Better yet, how often do people notice when they are? Have you snipped your wick and positioned it in the center of your life to ensure the brightest glow possible?

It is my prayer I not only let my candles, pick icicles and Christmas lights shine upon the earth this time of year but my light will shine today, tomorrow and throughout the year . . . through my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment