Saturday, December 21, 2013

How are you keeping Christ in Christmas this year?



With all the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, how are you keeping Christ in Christmas this year?

One thing I have noticed is more people saying “Merry Christmas”. Have you? I know I have been very mindful to wish my acquaintances Merry Christmas. This is certainly one way to keep Christ in Christmas but how are other ways we can do this?

Well, our live Facebook chat this past week was on about this very thing. We had several participants during the live chat, and Scott and I were certainly blessed to read their thoughts so I want to share some of those with you:

·        Remembering not just at the season but every day that life is about "presence" not just presents. People need "us" not necessarily things. Doing unto others as you would have them do to you.

·        You know we live in the Bible belt and we're more sheltered here vs the rest of the Nation. In Wilmington, NC it is more liberal and alternative. They're more about coexisting... The Bible says where two or more are gathered along with God if there are 25 people who believe, will you spare our land... we have to be the people asking God to spare our land and acknowledge Christ...

·        I was at a lady's devotional recently and one of the ladies mentioned she had created an angel tree (I think it was an angel tree) in addition to her Christmas tree to keep Christ in the forefront during the Christmas season since it is Christ's birthday.

·        I'm keeping Christ in Christmas by supporting my family with love, support, and understanding. I'm also keeping Christ in Christmas by keeping faith in the Lord's plan. Even though I don't understand certain moments in my life, it is His guidance that keeps me on track as to where I need to be.

·        I've noticed more people are saying Merry Christmas. Also, if they say happy holidays, I always smile and say Merry Christmas back to them. I've also seen more Christmas wishes on hours of operation at banks etc. We always read about the birth of Christ on Christmas Eve as a family before bed, and my daughter gets 3 gifts from Santa in honor of the 3 kings who took gifts to baby Jesus. (A great idea someone told me about long ago and we've always done that.)

·        I am happy to see so many Christians finally speaking up more and standing up more for God's ways and not just being quiet about it.

·        It’s best for all of us to stand up for Christ and speak for Him. I know He's extremely capable to fight His own battles but I'd rather stand in the gap for Him as opposed to ignoring Him and experiencing His wrath...

·        I am very glad that people are trying to keep Christ in Christmas, but I more concerned that we should keep Christ in our life every day. Some people forget the poor and lonely after Christmas.

·        Be Proud to say Merry Christmas with Love not just brave and saying it with sarcasm...

·        I believe people have made an effort to say Merry Christmas more. I always enjoy adopting children from the angel tree through work and helping families through church. I sponsored a world vision child for the first time this year, 5 year old Darwin from Honduras and received a Christmas card from him today. Made my day!!! So blessed to be able to do that for him!

·        Maybe this controversy now going on with Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty this will help bring more awareness to how we should be more Christ like and stand up and speak up for our beliefs and what the Bible says. The Facebook chatter is pretty heavy about slamming the TV station that suspended him for him speaking his religious beliefs. Maybe this will help us Christians be stronger also and stand up for Christ. This could be a very good start of helping others stand up for Christ every day of their lives not just a Christmas.

·        Where my husband works they took an angel from the tree and we bought some things for an 11 year old boy. What a good feeling to reach out.

·        It was awesome the company that adopted all the leftover angels- 170 of them!!! Two years in a row! I pray that God blesses them and their business to prosper.

·        I know a family who participated in a drive-through live Nativity scene. They took their grandson and explained what each scene was about to try to instill in him, at a young age, what Christmas really is about.

·        We know a married couple who are friends of ours and I shared with them that we've set a small monetary amount on us and they aren't doing much if anything for themselves. Rather, they are giving to others with Love... This is true Christ-Mas Love....

·        I heard a cool thing this week- a man said that he raised his family to always read the Christmas story before opening presents. His grown son was in the service in Germany and the hours are different than here but he stayed up late so he could call in on Christmas Day and hear the reading of the Christmas story with his family. I loved that and makes me want to start that as a tradition this year.

·        I think it starts with family and home. I think it's more difficult for folks that grow up in a non-Christian family. It's easy to tell children things but traditions are forever and that's why we need to incorporate more Christian traditions in our everyday lives all year- not just at Christmas.

·        We can live every day, 365 as though it's Christmas Eve/Day... This makes for the best counselling sessions....

·        I think we best keep Christ in Christmas when we share our time with others, especially those with no family, and those in assisted living and nursing home facilities. It may not seem much but just being a little part of someone's life for a few minutes can mean a lot. Reading the Christmas Story to someone who cannot do it for themselves is keeping Christ in Christmas. Sharing with those in need always represents Christ. Susan. I will always remember your Daddy giving of his talents and resources. All the time. Going out of his way to do so. Have a Blessed Christmas

·        And we all certainly need to remember those who have no family . . . not only during this Christmas season but throughout the year . . .

·        Struggled with this - finally I really try to focus on "what would Jesus do" try to be more patient - kinder - to everyone I come in contact with and make the effort to carry it throughout the year - also as stated  . . .  reaching out to those that have no family here locally –

·        Through example is the best way to let God's light shine. Little things such as common courtesy, doing a kindness for the sake of being kind and not for the pat on the back. Let Christ come out in your actions, your tone of voice.

·        Do not like the commercial aspect of Christmas - as an only child - adopted by my aunt and uncle - it was never about the "stuff" - - so it completely overwhelms me sometimes - it much more joyful to realize what the season is really about and to put it into practice - brings me more joy than any presents

·        Living for Christmas is a process. It needs to build daily for the final climax for the recognition of Christ birthday. Just like the wise men traveled for days. I want to make my journey memorable by who I've touched on my pathway....

·        I myself have been practicing Pay it Forward this year and it’s made me feel more in spirit and close to God than any other Christmas when I was running around gift purchasing and trying to impress everyone! It's not about that! At all! It's when the gift comes from the heart! And being kind to others and speaking for the greater good of God, not saying it to bother those who don't believe in Christ in Christmas! I say Merry Christmas to maybe touch and inspire another! It's about doing small gestures for strangers! Making friends and sharing in love and laughter! That's how I'm trying to keep Christ in Christmas this year! God Bless all those that are!

·        Keeping Christ in Christmas doing things for others singing carols baking sharing and Rang the bell for couple hours for food bank with my daddy

·        Being Christ like at Christmas - it's the little things - a smile to the overworked cashier - the server at McDonalds :)

·        Was talking to a friend this morning who was telling me she had gone shopping at the JC Mall yet couldn't find anything for the ones she was buying for which made her realize Christmas not about having to run out and spend money on buying presents . . .

·        I love volunteering at local health care it’s such a blessing we took them shopping today. That’s Christmas

·        Christ like - means looking around at your neighbors - offer a helping hand - anything - sometimes the people closest to us need assistance but don't want to impose

·        I think walking the Walk at Christmas time is the best way to keep Christ at Christmastime! He needs to be the center of everything! Give a gift to someone (whether it costs a lot or not) to someone from the heart! Give because you want them to feel loved not because you "have too" be the kind of person you want your children to marry!

·        Christmas is the celebration of Christ birth but it is a series of events that leads us to the day we can reach His table showing the gifts we've delivered this year in His name....

I hope you enjoyed reading all the posts we received. Are there other ways we can keep Christ in Christmas? If so, please leave a comment!

Merry Christmas,
Scott, Susan & Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment