Friday, January 17, 2014

Sun, Rain and Snow

This morning while watching the news I was anxiously awaiting the weather report because I thought they were calling for snow this evening/tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong – I am so ready for spring and summer, but I’d love to get just one more good snow this year.


Of course, as the meteorologist was giving the forecast for today he mentioned we’d have sun, with rain later turning into snow as the temperature dropped. I don’t recall him mentioning the gusts of wind I felt the moment Scott pulled in to meet me at Pal’s for lunch today. And the gusts of wind we felt when we went to Lowe’s. And the gusts of wind turning my décor flags in circles in my front yard. Nonetheless, we’re going to have sun then rain then snow . . . in say about twelve hours? What a day!

But I began to think about that . . . how often in our lives do we wake up in the morning, ready for anything that comes our way? We have had our alone time with God. We’ve prayed. We’ve put on our positivity hat. Nothing is going to bring us down. Then a few hours later? A minutes later? Bam! It hits. The clouds roll in. The wind begins to blow. The rain begins to fall. The temperature begins to drop. Then before you know it the ground and roads are covered with snow. And if not properly prepared for the likelihood of snow could make for some very treacherous traveling conditions. Then where do you find yourself? In a ditch? I hope not!

So how is life like the weather?

First, I’d say its unpredictable . . . totally unpredictable. I remember the Saturday the guys put up the Christmas lights on our house in November. It was so hot. Austin even took off his shirt! Then in no time it was freezing . . . . brrrrrrrrrr! One day you are preparing to pack for your destination wedding when later that same day you receive a phone call . . . from your doctor . . . telling you  . . . you have breast cancer. I will confess through all of the emotion and turmoil during the last six months, my faith, trust and walk with Him is so much stronger . . . and I know through my journey with God He has a divine purpose for my life as He continues to reveal bits and pieces along my pathway to recovery.

 

Secondly, not only is the weather and life unpredictable, but it changes. Sometimes within seconds! How many of us have heard someone say “if you don’t like the weather in East TN don’t leave; just wait a few minutes . . . it will change”? And how true that is! I believe the changes in our lives are simply part of God’s plan for us. Why? Maybe He doesn’t want us to get too complacent with where we are in life. If our lives didn’t change, I bet we’d take far too many things for granted (as if we don’t do enough of that now). If my life had not changed, I would not be at home today when Austin when he came barreling through the front door. I wouldn’t be at home writing my blog right now and working on finishing my books in progress. Trusting God doesn’t mean we only trust Him when the sun is shining. We trust him during the wind, the clouds, the rain and the storm. And yes, the hail too.  



Thirdly, we cannot control everything in our lives no more than we can control the weather. I’ve told many people I didn’t choose to have a stroke or lose my parents or be diagnosed with breast cancer, but I can choose how I respond to these challenging times in my life. As Charles Swindoll says, Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it”. As much as I really wanted the snow to accumulate this past Wednesday, and yes, our ground was covered, I couldn’t make it happen. I was powerless. But we all know one who is not powerless . . . our God. And as a reminder, He is involved in every facet of our lives. The sooner we realize that the sooner we will have the peace through which God speaks to our hearts no matter if it is sunny, raining, or snowing. Do you want God to begin changing your thoughts? Your dreams?  Then put your complete faith and trust in Him and realize no matter the weather it is His plan for our lives. I’m reminded of some lyrics in Michael W. Smith’s Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord:

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy


Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You



Finally, I believe the weather helps us appreciate the various seasons just like the hard times in life make us appreciate the good times. Now granted . . . some of us (not naming names) know there are 154 days until summer . . . for some of us we looooove summer! But there’s the beauty of fall . . . the beauty of spring. And winter? No, I don’t like the cold, but I appreciate the fact we can enjoy a season of white, which is typically mild (I hope I didn’t just jinx things!), which in turn makes me appreciate summer so much more. I love the snow, well a couple of good snows. Plus the winter sports associated with this type of year. But do we appreciate the various seasons in our lives? It’s difficult to appreciate the times that are tough, isn’t it? But how many times have we looked back on those challenging events in our lives and seen at least one good thing as a result? I have . . . Plus, I firmly believe “what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. It may bring family and friends together that otherwise would not have happened. And I’m certain, if we’ve trusted God during those difficult times, we have a much closer relationship with Him . . . my faith and trust have certainly deepened.

In closing, life is a lot like the weather as it can be unpredictable, it can change in a moment’s notice, we can’t control it, but it does create a deeper appreciation within us. So, no matter the forecast, I wish you a day full of sunshine, an umbrella when it rains “if” you can’t dance and a sleigh and some really cute pink snow bibs when it snows.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment